
The big screen.

The different fishes floating on the Yarra River from all the Commonwealth countries.
Chillipadi was involved in catering Modern Asian food for the catering company who won the catering contract, Artistic. There were 3 different marquees. 1 at Birarrung Marr, 1 at Alexander Garden, and 1 at the Sydney Myer Bowl. I was scheduled to work at the Alexander Garden marquee together with Ruben, Mandy, Bryan, Stephen, Raymond, Angela, Janice, Thomas and other new workers.
During the afternoon, business was always slow. But when it was about 4pm to 5pm, the crowd started coming in. People from all over the Victoria came for the river show, and the live bands that are orgnised to perform everynight during the duration of Commonwealth Games. I was incharged of making roti rubens and satays, Mandy does the noodles, and Raymond being the head chef organises food and stock for all 3 stores.

The "hot plate" (my best friend during the games)

Raymond with his head chef pose in our 2 weeks battle ground

Mandy the sexychef

Point of sale
Alexander Gardens' marquee being the HQ and it was the busiest marquee of all 3. That means it generated the highest revenue everynight. That also mean that there were more work for us. Most of the days, from 4pm until closing which is about 10-11pm, we had no dinner break. The only thing i had for dinner is when I tried the satays, testing if it's cooked. It was mad, making 10-15 roti rubens at a time, 100 sticks of satays. I can still recall how Raymond yells, "Jian, satay, ruben, satay, ruben, none stop yea!". Usually, after the roti rubens are ready, we put them all for display. When customers order it, we take it to the back and chop it into pieces. But during the peak hours, the roti rubens are chopped and packed into the container straight away. That's how busy it was. Too bad I did the chance to take more pictures during the peak hours. Here 1:

Mandy with the long queue
There were quite alot of drama during that 2 weeks. Brandon nearly got burnt to death. Ok I was kidding. Apparently the gas pipe came off when he tried to start the fire on the grill at Sydney Myer Bowl. The fire just came right at his face. He only got a severe burn on the right of his face, but the medical unit made it such a big issue. It was really nothing, maybe they have nothing better to do. Oh well, Brandon is still better looking than me :(
Another time was when the organisers came and tell us that some athlete from India ate our food and got sick. Mandy and I was damn worried that he ate any of the food we made. They made us close our marquee for 10 minutes. Later we found out that that farker ate this chicken pie that were pre-made. We just heat them up. Luckily Stephen managed to throw them all away before the health inspector came. During the hoo haa, Raymond asked me to disposed the frozen chicken which is stored at the chiller. When I walked out from the chiller, the health inspector was just walking away from me. I had to hide behind the chiller, made sure he wasn't around, and then sneak out of that area.
Other than that, it was all fun!

Ruben molesting Mr. Drumstick

We also managed to watch the men's cycling event. It was quite boring until Ruben and Stephen shouted 'pukimak' at our Malaysian cyclist. Malaysian cyclists were lousy, during the last few laps of the race, they disappeared. Sigh, Malaysia boleh? Mana boleh? No sportsmanship.

The marquee at night

Stephen

The dino which freak the shit out of Mandy

Vijay the nut-grinder

Our so-called "employees' space" also known as smoking area


The aftermath

Thomas, Raymond, Stephen, Erick, Bryan and myself
It was really something to remember for all of us who were involved. Even though it was quite a bitch to wake up at 9am and finishing work at 11pm or later. For me, it was an awesome experience to be part of the team. There are no words to describe it. I quite miss working there sometimes. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one feeling this way.
During the last night, Boss rewarded us with a bottle of Spritzer Mineral water, for our hard effort earning money for him.

Spritzer Mineral water
