Saturday, March 11, 2006

I quit... or not?



Working in Chillipadi all these while was fun. But last night was our worst night ever. Not to say I worked there for long, since August 2005. I really think putting 7 workers for closing is 1 FUCKED UP idea. Initially, we had all the old workers, such as Charmaine, Azlan, Kit, Janice, Jessie, Brendon and myself. The new ones, Mike (supervisor)and Terrence (useless fuck). Total of 9 of us.

Mike has been working for Chillipadi for some time, for dinner and lunch. He recently joined the supper. Since the old supervisor left, even though he's fuck up as well, but at least he get things organised. Anyway, boss gave Mike authority to run the whole show, setting him a target to meet everynight, making 30% of the night's revenue for wages, nothing more. So, he made Kit and Janice leave after 2.30am, leaving the 7 of us. It is understandable as it was not busy at all at that moment. But we all know that when the clock hits 3.30am, party animals from the clubs all over the city rushed in like mad and hungry dogs looking for food!

Let me explain how it works in Chillimalam (Chillipadi at night is called Chillimalam). We have that modern technology where u punch in the orders at the cashier and the printer in the kitchen will have a copy of the print out of the orders. But during Chillimalam, I dont understand why boss does not want to use the system. Anyway, when u get a table, you are given a docket. It's like a form-look-alike A4 paper. You write down how many servings u want for what ever food or drinks. Then pass it to a waiter or waitress. Then he or she will write down the table number, number of people on the table and then get to the counter asap. At the counter, there's this yellow sheet, we have to write the table number in a list of many other tables, indicating which table comes first. Then we have to write the number on the list of the yellow sheet back onto the docket.

Confusing enough? You have not heard the rest of it yet! Then, we have to write the orders into 2 small forms, 1 is white in colour, another is yellow. The white form is called the Hotman's copy, what ever that needs to be done on the grill has to be on that form. For example, chicken satays, roti chanais, roti johns, and all the other rotis. The other yellow 1 is called kitchen's copy, what ever that needs to be cooked is on this paper. For example, chicken laksa, nasi lemak, prawn noodles, assam laksa and a lot more. After that, we had to go into the kitchen, and put the yellow paper on this bar thing that can hold heaps of papers, usually restaurants have it. Then, we have to go all the way out of the shop where the grill is, to peg the hotman's copy for the fellow working at the grill.



A lot of work just for 1 fucking order. And there's so many tables. We had to do all that, and in addition, we have to send food, take extra orders, answer customers' questions. Not only we have to deal with grumpy customers that did not get their orders, we had to deal with drunk customers too. I swear last night who ever messed with me i would have killed him.

There is 1 at the grill, Brendon. He can make 12 rotis at 1 go. 2 in the kitchen, Charmaine and Jessie. Azlan, Terrence and myself, the runners. Mike, prepares drinks. Last time, when we were still under the old supervision, the person who makes the drink, does the cashier, and ordering the runners to send what food to which table. But last night, it was not like that anymore. Since we are short of workers, things must be more organised. But no, everything was fucked up last night. So fucked up!

Basic rule of thumb:
ALCOHOL + HUNGER = ANGER
We got heaps of unsatisfied/angry customers last night, heaps of complaints. I was working at the cashier during the rush hours. I kept apologising to the customers for the bad services, and the unserved food.

Everyone working last night except for Mike, was fucking pissed with that useless fuck! Fucking useless. He did not contribute much last night. I started off cleaning the front with Terrence the useless fuck. Then i went upstairs to help Azlan to clean. Man, it was like a warzone! cups everywhere, plates everywhere tables and chairs all over. Crazy! After 30 minutes or so, we were done. Only to find that That fucker didn't do much when we were cleaning upstairs.

Brendon, Charmaine, Azlan all agreed with me that last night was the worst night ever. Brendon, having the highest authority other than Mike, is gonna make a complaint to boss about last night. I hope things would be different after this, else I'm gonna quit. No point stressing out for an underpaid part time job. If it wasn't for the good friends that work there, I couldn't be fucked working there anymore.

I was thinking of leaving after working for the Commonwealth Games. I think I should earn enough to pay off all the bills that I still owe my housemate. I don't need the money, but then working also can help me out on my implusive shopping habit, buying useless things :P I wanna get my hands on those new Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 Baja. :P I'm a sucker for Onitsuka Tiger.

nice? nice? nice?????